There are so many premade designs being sold on Etsy. But what if you want to do-it-yourself with just a little help from an Etsy Seller?
This is where editable Canva templates come in handy!
What Is A Canva Template?
A Canva template is a design that an Etsy Seller created that enables you to easily customize and personalize the design. The editable design will have elements that you can adjust to suit your needs and brand.
Canva templates come in an array of options. You can get editable templates for Instagram stories, workbooks, worksheets, social media posts, planners, labels, and so much more.
Canva provides free templates for users, but you can get even more creative by buying a Canva template from Etsy.
Once you decide to self-edit and personalize a Canva template, the design process can feel a bit overwhelming if it is your first time.
I’ll share the basics on editing the Canva template that you purchased.
In this article, you will learn:
- How to edit colors, text, and images
- How to add a text box
- How to adjust the background
Accessing The Canva Template
1. You will need a Canva account. Make sure that you’re logged into your Canva account. If you do not already have a Canva account, go to https://www.canva.com and create an account.
2. Go to the link that was provided to you from the Etsy Seller.
3. When you click the link, the template will automatically open in Canva. Click “Use template.”
4. A copy of the template should be created in your own Canva account. You should now see “Copy of _” in the Title box at the top-right of the screen. If a copy is not automatically created, make a copy before you start editing. In the top left corner, click “File” then select “Make A Copy” and save your copy.
Now you can edit the template how you desire.
Pin It For Later
How To Edit A Canva Template
How To Change The Color
- Select the element that you want to alter. You will know that the element is selected by the presence of a turquoise box surrounding that element.
- Select the color icon that is at the top-left of the screen.
- Pick your color.
How To Edit The Text
- Click on the text box.
- Highlight the text then type.
How to Add Text
- Click the Text tab that is on the left side of the screen.
- You can select heading, subheading, or body text. You can also choose to use one of Canva’s pre-set font combinations.
- A box will pop up on your design. Backspace to remove the text, then type your own text.
How To Change The Font
- Highlight the text that you want to change.
- Select the dropdown list that is in the tool bar.
- Choose the font that you would like to use.
- You can alter the font size, color, alignment, letter spacing, and the line-height.
How To Insert An Image
- Select the Uploads tab in the left-hand menu.
- You can search Canva images or upload your own image.
- Select the image to insert into your design.
- Drag the image to your desired location.
- The image can be resized, cropped, or flipped.
How to Insert Your Own Media (Image, Video, and Audio)
- Select the “Upload media” button.
- A box will pop up that shows the media that’s saved on your personal device.
- Select the media (picture, video, or audio) to upload, then wait for it to fully upload in Canva.
- Select the media to insert into your design.
- Drag the photo or video to your desired location.
How To Change The Background
- Backgrounds can either be a solid color, image, or gradient. Hopefully, the customizable template that you purchased already has a photo grid as the background.
- Click on the background.
- Use the appropriate previous steps to insert an image or change the background color.
How To Download Your Edited Design
How To Save Your Design
When you are finished making your edits, save it by clicking “File” then selecting “Save”.
How To Download Your Design
- Once you are satisfied with the final product, click the Share button and select Download.
- Choose a file type (format) that suits your needs. You can choose between PNG, JPG, PDF and MP4 Video.
- You can also download select pages instead of the entire design. Expand the dropdown menu for “Select pages”, click the box next to the desired page(s), click the “Done” button, then select Download.
Was this helpful? Let me know in the comment section below.